Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Still cold



What a day!!! The cold weather is with us still, but has eased up ever so slightly. Around 20 people have died in South Africa over the past two days of intensely cold weather. I think about six of them froze to death, the others were very poor people who live in shanty towns where there is no electricity. They are forced to rely on open fires and paraffin stoves for cooking and heat, and every winter hundreds of people die when their shacks catch on fire. Every night when I get into into bed I just feel so incredible blessed, lucky and grateful that I have a roof over my head and a warm cozy bed to snuggle into. What does going without electricity for a few hours during a power failure really matter when there are people out there living in the cold amid grinding poverty.

No comments: