Sunday, June 24, 2007

Mugged

Yesterday morning we had a rather unfortunate incident. We took our dogs for a walk in the Melville koppies. This is a small nature reserve in our suburb consisting of steep hills covered in boulders, rocks and various plants and trees, great to wander around in with a nice view of the city from the top. Shortly after we started walking, we noticed two men behind us. At first I didn’t think anything of it, until my husband got suspicious and made us change direction and they followed us. It’s all a bit of a blur in my mind, but they whipped out guns and made us empty our pockets and hand over our belongings. Then they made us start walking back up into the hills, at this point I was absolutely terrified, I didn’t know if they were going to take us to a more isolated spot to rape me and kill us. Johannesburg has one of the highest levels of violent crime in the world and you read about stuff like this in the news every day. Anyway, thank God, they didn’t follow us, they just waited until we were a fair distance away and then ran away. So in the end we weren’t harmed and all we lost was our cell phones and my digital camera. In South Africa when this happens you feel lucky because you weren’t raped or murdered. I feel okay, just a bit shaken up, but mainly relieved that it wasn’t more serious. And when my dear hubby went off to the mall to sort out the cellphones he came home with a new camera me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Bronwyn I am SO SORRY you had to experience such a frightening thing. You must have been terrified. I'm so glad you're safe and sound now. The park you went today is lovely. And if it's safer...all the better!