Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Off to Grahamstown

The snow last night was amazing. I've got out all my warmest winter woolies now - I'm off to Grahamstown for the National Arts Festival for a week, I'm just going as a visitor, my sister-in-law lives in Grahamstown, and she's holding her first photographic exhibition at the festival.

From the brochure "Organised by the Grahamstown Foundation, Africa's largest and most colourful cultural event offers a choice of the very best of both indigenous and imported talent. Every year for 8 days Grahamstown's population almost doubles, as over 50 000 people flock to the city for a feast of arts, crafts and sheer entertainment. Every hall or large room becomes a theatre, parks and sport fields become flea markets, normally quiet streets have to be managed by an army of temporary traffic wardens, and every available bed in the city is booked. The festival offers more than 500 shows from opera, cabaret,drama and jazz to stand-up comics and folk music. While many come to take in the arts, others simply want to be here for the spectacle or to market products ranging from tie-dyed T-shirts and woven rugs to handmade jewellery and customised telephones. The festival operates out of the 1820 Settlers National Monument and is organised by the Grahamstown Foundation."

I'm all packed and ready to go, and I've taken all the warmest things I own, Grahamstown is even colder than Joburg in the winter. I should be able to blog while I'm there and post some pics to give you a sense of the festival.

No comments: