Monday, July 28, 2008

It's beautifully kitsch







I had a question from femminismo at One Day at a Time asking about the painting of the green turbaned lady in my sidebar. The painting is by Vladimir Tretchikoff a famous Russian born, South African artist. Ironically, although he was put down by the art critics of his time who described his work as kitsch, he was incredibly popular with ordinary people who flocked to buy his paintings and prints, and many of his works have become iconic. You'd recognise them even if you didn't know anything about them. His painting "Chinese Girl" (fourth from top) is said to be one of the best selling prints of all time. He died recently in 2006 at the age of 92. His New York Times obituary is here.

I agree that his work is chocolate box kitsch at its very best, yet there is something immensely appealing about it. I would certainly buy one his prints if the opportunity (and the right price) came around.

2 comments:

femminismo said...

Oh, thank you for cluing me in on the artist. My mother-in-law had very elegant taste so for her to allow this in her home she must not have thought it too kitschy.
Your journal pages are wondrously colorful. The 1950ish girls are cute in their stylish dresses. I think I remember that one dress from Home Economics class when we were trying to decide what was easiest to sew and still get a good grade. Did/do you have home economics in South Africa?

Unknown said...

blast from the past! my mother hated his work and would never have allowed it in the door, but he approached me once (i was a teenager) wanting to paint me and my very elegant mom almost hit the roof when she heard about t and refused of course! lol